Please sign up to the inaugural Cambridge ISoc Access Conference 2019!
This will be held in Manchester on Saturday 24th August (11am-4:30pm) in order to target those from more Northern regions. There are 60 places available, open to Muslim students going into Y12/Y13 in the next academic year (2019-20) and their parents. Teachers/careers advisers are also warmly invited but there are limited places, thus please email email@example.com to confirm attendance instead of filling out the form. Preference will be given to those from Widening Participation backgrounds thus students should attend state comprehensives and also fit into at least 2 of the following criteria;
- Low income backgrounds, as defined by eligibility for Free School Meals in the last 6 years
- Quintiles 1 and 2 of the Participation of Local Areas (POLAR32) classification
- Attend schools and colleges which have low progression rates to HE or to selective universities, and have below average attainment rates
- Backgrounds of Local Authority Care
- Minority Ethnicities but specifically Black, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.
We decided to host the event in Manchester due to the economic costs, cultural barriers and time limits associated with travelling to Cambridge for Open Days for those living in Northern England. Students will have the opportunity to meet and work with Admissions Tutors and current Cambridge students studying their subject of interest in a variety of workshops and talks. A brief outline of the day’s activities can be found below;
- Admissions Talk and Cambridge Myth-Busting
- Personal Statement Workshop
- Interview Workshop
- Parent’s Q&A
- Life in Cambridge as a Muslim student – Student Q&A
This event is FREE of charge for students and their parents and travel reimbursement will be available for those requiring it. We also hope to reimburse public travel for parents on a case-by-case basis. A free halal/vegetarian lunch will be provided as well as snacks and refreshments throughout the day and prayer space, if required, will be available.
For more information please click here