The event is aimed at prospective students in Year 11 and Year 12. Places are limited so booking is essential, and we ask you to limit the number of students from a single school to six on any one day. However, please contact us if you want to bring more students. As the event normally takes place during term-time for schools, we ask that all bookings are sent by the school to ensure their agreement. The format of the day varies depending upon the commitments of staff but a typical programme would have the following elements:
- A welcome to the department and a brief introduction to Materials Science as a subject.
- A talk from a senior lecturer about their work, often relating to cutting-edge research.
- A tour of the department giving an idea of our facilities and showing the variety of on-going research activities.
- A brief tour of one of the colleges.
- A workshop looking at a variety of aspects of materials science that relate to the Science Curriculum.
- Advice on how to apply to study Materials Science.
Priority will be given to students from schools with little or no history of applications to Oxford.